Tucson STEM Academy
06/17/2013 - 8:00am - 06/20/2013 - 4:00pm
Registration Application Required
Arizona Project WET
Region: Pima County
Topic: Bioscience, Health & Medicine, Sustainability & Earth Sciences, Technology & Computer Science
Teachers and non-formal educators are invited to participate in the following workshop free of charge. Each participant will receive the curriculum guide associated with the workshop topic.
The availability of a safe and reliable water source is essential to life in the Sonoran Desert and across the globe. Water education topics span all the levels of secondary science curriculum: Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Environmental Science, as well as Engineering, Math, and Technology.
Secondary Science Teachers will:
- Work with Tucson Water professionals identifying and solving problems in the field
- Create STEM units that incorporate locally and globally relevant content: Water Supply & Distribution, Water Quality, Water Conservation
- Connect students to reliable STEM careers
- Incorporate Common Core standards for Literacy and Math into curriculum
- Implement Next Gen Science Standards within STEM units
- Collaborate with water professionals, teachers and students
- Acquire new technology tools and skills
Benefits include a $500 stipend, access to water professionals throughout the year, and classroom kits available for checkout.